Sunday 7 July 2013

Little Kitchen 5- Thai Laksa Noodle

This weekend would be the last opportunity to cook for lunch as next week will be the start of Ramadhan. One month of fasting which I am looking forward considering that this would be this first one after 6 years abroad. Fasting month abroad in the UK was quite tough especially when last year it was summer.

Let's move on to this week menu. I was watching Jamie Oliver 15 mins meal last week and was inspired with the Thai Laksa Noodle that he made. It looks super easy especially when it says only 15mins, is it for real??!! It is time to put it to test.

The recipe are as follows
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/thai-chicken-laksa-mildly-spiced-noodle-squash-broth

Since I am shopping in the nearby Tesco, there are a few ingredients which are not readily available. I had to replaced the butternut squash with pumpkin. Coriander was replaced with celery.
It took me more than 15 mins though but still less than 30 mins which is still good time to prepare lunch compared to cooking nasi lemak. Note of caution, the 15mins does not include preparation time, shopping time and also cleaning up time...

Thai laksa in the pot
 I used rice vermicelli instead of medium sized noodle. It is better to use medium sized noodle as it would soak the soup as much.

Yummy chicken with honey and sesame. The next time I would add a bit more salt to the chicken

Served with lemon wedges and garnished with celery


Ready to be eaten
The verdict- easy to make and it has a nice fragrant taste to it. You can taste the lime, the fish sauce, the pumpkin in the soup. I was serving it to my dear sister who actually agreed that this is a nice meal. Trust me, it is difficult to cook for family as everything will be compared to my mother who is the queen of the kitchen. So, I am taking my sister's comment into my heart and planning to cook more of this Thai Laksa for my future guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment